Tips for a Waste-Free Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a time of bountiful tables, but what to do with the leftovers?
After eating your fill with friends and family, you may not want to think about Thanksgiving leftovers – but don’t let those leftovers go to waste! Use these tips and ideas to turn them into new, delicious meals to continue sharing with family & friends.
- Fry small patties of potato into hash browns for breakfast
- Stir in ½ cup mashed potatoes to thicken soups & stews
- Use as a topping for pot pies
- Make gnocchi
- Dumplings for soup: mix 2 cups stuffing, 2 eggs & 6 tbsp flour
- Savory stuffing waffles: mix 2 cups stuffing & 1 egg, pack firmly into greased waffle iron
- Stuffed peppers: stuff, bake 15-20 minutes at 375ºF & top with cheese
- Add chopped turkey to soups, stews, chili, or stir-fry
- BBQ shredded turkey for sandwiches & quesadillas
- Turkey soup with stuffing dumplings
- Mix into muffins, pancakes, or banana bread
- Mix with apples in pie, crisps, or cobblers
- Serve on top of stuffing waffles!
Sweet Potatoes, Yams or Squash:
- Use in muffins, breads or pancakes
- Stir puree or cubes into oatmeal for a breakfast nutrient boost!
- Cube & add to salads
- Add to chili or stew
Canned Pumpkin or Pie Fillings:
- 100% pumpkin can be used in savory soups, stews, curries, and in place of tomato for homemade pasta sauce
- Pumpkin pie filling is sweetened, and can be added to smoothies, oatmeal & yogurt, or whipped with a little cream for a quick dessert pudding
- Turkey bone broth:
- In large pot or slow cooker, cover bones with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Add veggie scraps, garlic, and onion as available. Reduce heat & simmer 30 minutes to 2hours.
- Strain, discard scraps, and refrigerate broth up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 3 months.
We hope you use these tips this week and share them with your loved ones!
While Thanksgiving is a time of abundance for many of us, 1 in 10 residents of Massachusetts are food insecure. On December 3, we will be raising funds for #GivingTuesday and hope you will consider joining our efforts to feed the community this holiday season.